Rice and Beans for Two

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Amazing Grace

I love that song, both the words and the tune. Bagpipes are my favorite but I recently discovered Elvis' version. It always makes me cry and especially if they play it with sad memorials. This lady Nana Mouskouri has a wonderful voice. Wintley Phipps is giving a presentation on negro spirituals and he gives the history of this song, written by John Newton, former captain of a slave ship who gives his life to God and put words to this melody he first heard being sung by captured, black Africans on his slave ship. The stunning Diana Ross gives a beautiful interpretation that is not so sad. For those who like Willie Nelson alone or with his friends or maybe holding hands in the street. I wish I could sing as mellow as this woman. Here is a nice saxophone version. On these two version the music is touching but the Iraqi war is depicted so don't watch the video is you don't want to see slain soldiers or live bombings. Tent revival version Blind Boys of Alabama sing Blues. A little unbelievable but here is Aerosmith? I can't sing so I'll have to settle for learning to pick quitar or maybe this slide quitar, this one or this one which were my first music lessons back when I was about 10 years old on a Hawaiian quitar. Now let me leave you with a final and impressive version of my favorite song. I don't care for Jazz but this Celtic Harp player does a great version of Amazing Grace in various jazzed up melodies.

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger eileen said...

I love Amazing Grace, too!
Good to see you're posting again :)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger mj said...

The Amazing Grace Iraq videos are bizarre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home